Thursday, October 20, 2011

Favor Asked


One cold, dark winter's night Dog waited patiently for a friendly word and for something to be placed into his food bowl but his humans retired to their warm beds forgetting all about him.

"It is clear. " thought Dog to himself, "that I have outlived my usefulness. There is nothing left for me to do now but to end my miserable life. I must go out into the night alone and freeze to death or perhaps fall into a ravine and break my old neck or perhaps I will finally meet that old Wolf who will hopefully kill me." 

And so Dog limped out into the darkness.

Now it happened that wolf was in the neighborhood that same night. 

Wolf had eaten a splendid dinner of tender young rabbit and was feeling good about life and about himself when he noticed Dog's tracks in the snow.

"My old enemy Dog is out and about tonight. I think I will follow him and see what he is up to." he thought and Wolf began to follow Dog.

"Dog is certainly not himself tonight." thought Wolf when he caught sight of his old nemesis. "He looks like a weak, starving old cur--I believe I will just talk to him a bit for old time's sake." and Wolf cautiously approached Dog.

"Dog, Old Fellow!" Wolf called when he became closer, "How is it that you are out and about this cold, dark night all by yourself?

"Wolf," said Dog, "I was hoping to finally meet you to apologize for my past bad behavior and to ask you for one last favor."

"Well, Dog, neither of us will ever be young and foolish again. I accept your apology with good heart and ask what favor can I possibly do for you?"

"Will you please kill me now and quickly? I am resolved to die tonight since I am no longer useful and my humans do not wish to have me around any longer and freezing to death or falling into a ravine do not appeal to an old watchdog like myself." said Dog.


...

No comments: