Thursday, October 30, 2008

Clarence Tells


We followed Clarence into the den.

As soon as we were there, Clarence turned and spoke.

"You will wish to know what I know about the missing pearl."

"Correct." I answered.

"Well, I must say, I don't know anything at all!"

"You summoned Madam Clam to breakfast..."

"As usual. Then I preceded her into the breakfast room and waited on her--also as usual."

"Was there anyone else in the house in the morning?"

"No. We were alone--also as usual. I served her second cup of coffee and then she left the room. I was clearing the breakfast things when she returned as white as a sheet to report to me that her beautiful pearl was gone!"

"And you had NOT left the breakfast room at the time."

"I NEVER do until the breakfast things are clear--that is one of my duties."

"And are you ABSOLUTELY SURE there was no one else about--remember well, because this is VERY important!"

"Yes. I am sure...WAIT a MOMENT! Now I remember! A workman--an electric eel--had come earlier to check the wiring! He COULD have entered the bedroom after we left!"

"AN ELECTRIC EEL! AHA! NOW we're GETTING SOMEWHERE!!" I said.


...

No comments: